BCB Faculty Member in the Physics and Astronomy Department
Education: Ph.D., Barcelona, 1997
- Computational Molecular Biology and Mathematical Biology--Theoretical models and simulations (including all atomic MD) of phospholipids and interactions of phospholipids with proteins. Signaling phospholipids (PIP2). Electrostatic properties of biological systems (theoretical).
Description: The research in my group focuses around two main topics:
1) Properties of phospholipids: What determines the phase diagram of phospholipids and, in particular, the influence of ions in solution. We are particularly interested in phospholipids such as Phophatidic acid and Phosphatidyl-Inositol Bisphosphate, which play a critical role in transducing signals.
2) Self assembly of soft matter systems (polymers, colloids, liquid crystals) and its relation to biological systems.
- “Folding 19 proteins to their native state and stability of large proteins from a coarse-grained model”, A. Kapoor and A. Travesset, Proteins 82, 505 (2014)
- “Dynamics and Statics of DNA-programmable Nanoparticle Self-Assembly and Crystallization”, C.D. Knorowski, S. Burleigh and A. Travesset, Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 215501 (2011).
- “Materials Design by DNA-programmed Self-Assembly”, C.D. Knorowski and A. Travesset, Curr. Opin. In Solid State and Mat. Science. 15, 262 (2011).
- “Ion Specific Induced Charges at Aqueous Soft Interfaces”, W. Wang, R. Park, A. Travesset and D. Vaknin, Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 056102 (2011).
- “Phosphatidic Acid Domains in Membranes: Effect of Divalent Counterions” J. Faraudo and A. Travesset, Biophys. J. 922806 (2007).
- “Self-Assembly and Crystallization of Hairy (f-star) and DNA grafted Nanocubes’’, C. Knorowski and A. Travesset, JACS 136, 653 (2014)
- “General purpose molecular dynamics simulations fully implemented on graphics processing units”, J.A. Anderson, C.D. Lorenz and A. Travesset, J. Comput. Phys, 227, 5342 (2008).
- “Charge inversion at minute electrolyte concentrations”, J. Pitler, W. Bu, D. Vaknin, A. Travesset, D.J. McGillivray and M. Loesche, Phys. Rev. Lett. 97, 46102 (2006).
- “Grain Boundary scars and spherical crystallography” A.R. Bausch, M. Bowick, A. Cacciuto, A. Disnmore, M. Hsu, D. Nelson, M. Nikolaides, A. Travesset and D. Weitz, Science 299, (2003) 1716-1718.
- “The Statistical Mechanics of Membranes” Bowick and A. Travesset, Phys. Rep. 344 (2001) 255.