Chaoqun (Crystal) Lu, BCB Faculty member in EEOB, will present at the BCB Faculty Seminar on Wednesday, Nov. 15, at 4:10 in 1424 MBB. She will present on: Simulating carbon and nitrogen cycling in the Plant-Soil-Water-Atmosphere continuum. We hope you can join us. Here is information on Dr. Lu's research:
My primary research interests are to understand and quantify human and natural controls over ecosystem patterns and processes by using a systems approach, ecosystem modeling, and data-model assimilation at various spatial and temporal scales. My current study mainly focuses on
- Assessment of the dynamics of ecosystem function and services in response to multiple global changes in climate, land use and cover patterns, land management practices, and atmospheric composition (e.g., CO2, O3, nitrogen deposition);
- Land-atmosphere exchange of greenhouse gases (CO2, CH4 and N2O);
- Coupled carbon, nitrogen and water cycles in the earth system;
- Nitrogen regulation to ecosystem productivity, crop yield, carbon sequestration capability, and water quantity and quality;
- Land-coastal linkage and riverine export of carbon and nutrient.
Research Fellow III (May 2013-present): School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences, Auburn University, Auburn, AL 36849.
Postdoctoral Fellow (May 2009-2013): School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences, Auburn
University, Auburn, AL 36849.
HONORS AND AWARD
“Early Career Ecologist Award” received from the Asian Ecology Section, Ecological Society of America (ESA) in 2013
“Outstanding Research Award” received in recognition of excellence in Biological and Environmental Research at Auburn University in 2008
SELECTED PEER-REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS (Citations: 1311, h-index: 21)
- Tian. H, C. Lu, J.Yang, K. banger, D.N. Huntzinger, C.R. Schwalm, A.M. Michalak, and MsTMIP modeling group. 2015. Global patterns and controls of soil organic carbon dynamics as simulated by multiple terrestrial biosphere models: Current status and future directions. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 29, doi:10.1002/2014GB005021.
- Lu, C., H. Tian. 2014. Half-century nitrogen deposition increase across China: A gridded time-series data set for regional environmental assessments. Atmospheric Environment 97, 68-74. DOI: 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2014.07.061
- Lu, C., Tian, H. 2013. Net Greenhouse Gas Balance in Response to Nitrogen Enrichment: Perspectives from a Coupled Biogeochemical Model. Global Change Biology 19, 571-588. DOI: 10.1111/gcb.12049.
- Lu, C., H.Q. Tian, M.L. Liu, W. Ren, X.F. Xu, G.S. Chen and C. Zhang. 2012. Effects of nitrogen deposition on carbon fluxes and carbon storage in terrestrial ecosystems of China: from 1901 to 2005. Ecological Applications 22, 53–75.
- Tian, H., C. Lu, J. Melillo, W. Ren, Y. Huang, X. Xu, M. Liu, C. Zhang, G. Chen, S. Pan, J. Liu, and J. Reilly. 2012. Food benefit and climate warming potential of nitrogen fertilizer uses in China. Environmental Research Letters 7, doi:10.1088/1748-9326/7/4/044020
Area of Expertise:
- Macro-systems Ecology
- Ecosystem Modeling
- Global Biogeochemistry
- Ph.D., Ecology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, and Auburn Univ., 2009
- 251 Bessey Hall