Please join us for our BCB faculty seminar today at 4:10 in 1424 Molecular Biology Building. Our presenter will be:
Department: Electrical and Computer Engineering
Julie Dickerson is a Professor at Iowa State University in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECpE). She served as a program officer at the National Science Foundation in the Advances in Biological Informatics Program and the Postdoctoral Research Fellowships in Biology Program in the Biology Directorate as the lone engineer. She has also served as the Chair of the Bioinformatics and Computational Biology program at Iowa State University.
She holds a B.S. degree in electrical engineering from the University of California, San Diego. She received her master's degree and Ph.D. in electrical engineering from the University of Southern California. She designed radar systems for Hughes Aircraft Company and Martin Marrietta while getting her Ph.D. Her current research activities are in systems biology, bioinformatics, bioinformatics education, and data visualization. She was a Carver Fellow in the Virtual Reality Applications Center and a member of the Baker Center for Bioinformatics in the Plant Sciences Institute and the Human-Computer Interaction Program. Dr. Dickerson has over 100 peer-reviewed publications in journals, book chapters, and conference proceedings and supervises research projects funded by the National Science Foundation, ARDA, and the United States Department of Agriculture.
- Systems biology, bioinformatics, pattern recognition, data visualization, real-time sensor networks, metabolomics, image processing, machine learning
- Core Research Area: Communications and signal processing; secure and reliable computing
- Strategic Research Area: Bioengineering
- Mao, L., J. Van Hemert, S. Dash, and J. Dickerson. Arabidopsis Gene Co-expression Network and Its Functional Modules. BMC Bioinformatics 10, (2009): 346.
- Grimplet, J., G. R. Cramer, J. A. Dickerson, K. Mathiason, J. Van Hemert, and A. Y. Fennell. VitisNet: Omics Integration through Grapevine Molecular Networks. PLoS ONE 4, no. 12, (2009): e8365.
- Call, A., S. Herrnstadt, E. S. Wurtele, J. Dickerson, and D. Bassham. Meta!Blast Virtual Cell: A Pedagogical Convergence Between Game Design and Science Education. Journal of Systematics, Cybernetics, and Informatics 5, no. 5, (December 2007): 27-31.?
- Zhou W., T. Xia, J. Tong, J. Dickerson, B. Su, and X. Gu. Modeling Protein Interaction Network and Mechanisms in Exocytosis, In Proc. IEEE 7th International Symposium on Bioinformatics & Bioengineering, Cambridge, MA, November 2007.?
- S. Y. Rhee, J. Dickerson, and D. Xu. Bioinformatics and its Applications in Plant Biology, Annual Review of Plant Biology 57, (2006): 335-359.
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, University of Southern California, 1993
- M.S., Electrical Engineering, University of Southern California, 1986
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, University of California at San Diego, 1983
Please join us for this BCB faculty member presentation.