The Graduate College will hold its first
Three-Minute Thesis (3MT®) Competition
2 – 5 p.m. Tuesday, November 15, 2016 – 1213 Hoover Hall
3MT® is an oral presentation of a student’s research to an audience of non-experts in the discipline. Presentation time is strictly restricted to three minutes, and one visual image (slide) with no animations permitted. A panel of judges will determine winners. The idea was launched at the University of Queensland in 2008. Since then, 3MT® competitions have been held at numerous institutions in 19 countries. More detail on 3MT® is available at threeminutethesis.org.
The winner of our competition will be funded to represent Iowa State University at a regional competition in Indianapolis, Indiana, on April 7, 2017. In addition, first-, second-, and third-place winners will be awarded scholarships of $500, $250, and $100 respectively. We can accommodate up to 30 competitors. Both master’s and doctoral students may compete. Competitors will need to be registered as graduate students during both fall semester 2016 and spring semester 2017. If more than 30 students apply to compete, the Graduate College will select the competitors and invite those not selected to compete in the 3MT® competition during the GPSS research conference on April 12, 2017.
- September 1, 2016: 3MT® competition announcement
- September 15, 2016: Announcement of the opening of the application web site
- October 6, 2016: Closing of the application web site and participants confirmed
- October 10, 2016: Evening informational meeting (food provided) for contestants
- November 1, 2016: Slide from each competitor due
- November 15, 2016: 3MT® competition from 2 to 5 p.m., 1213 Hoover Hall
- April 7, 2017: Iowa State’s winner competes in regional event in Indianapolis